I’ve recently been really interested in the raw vegan diet, not because i’m thinking of becoming one but because of the amount of amazing food and dessert recipes there are that look super delicious and are fully raw and vegan. Sometimes its hard to believe that the raw vegan chocolate ‘cheese’ cakes or tacos I’m looking at are actually meals that are not cooked or baked! Ive also been obsessed with a series called ‘Raw.Vegan.Not Gross‘ on YouTube where the host Laura makes amazing looking meals. I’ve been inspired a great amount ever since and have been wanting to try my own raw vegan dessert by combining different recipes I have been seeing around. So I came up with my raw vegan peach and strawberry tart. Now I know it doesn’t taste exactly like a normal strawberry tart with a creamy white filling, but as far as healthiness and tastiness goes, I think its pretty darn delicious! Perhaps it is probably the healthiest a dessert can get and the bonus? you don’t feel an ounce of guilty for satisfying your sweet tooth.
So what is raw vegan you may ask? its foods that are all in their natural state eaten the way it has naturally grown and does not come in contact with high heat that may denature the enzymes in the food. These include things like fruits, vegetables, nuts, spices and natural oils. Since its vegan it also excludes all animal derived products. So this tart is free of any refined sugars, gluten and dairy but its still super delicious!
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (melted)
- Pinch of salt
- 4-5 dates
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds previously soaked in water
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup walnuts
- 3-4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (melted)
- 4-5 tablespoons water
- Pinch of salt
- Few drops of lemon juice
- 3-4 ripe peaches
- 5-6 strawberries
- Add the walnuts, almond meal and shredded coconut to a food processor and blitz it a few times until the walnuts are crushed and mixed with the other ingredients.
- Add the dates, salt, coconut oil and chia seeds and process until it becomes a uniform mixture like dough.
- Place a round piece of baking paper at the base of a 8 inch springform pan press the mixture as a base bringing it up to the sides making sure it is even then place in the fridge.
- For the filling soak the walnuts and cashews in water for at least two hours or over night so they soften.
- Drain the water from the nuts then add it into the food processor along with the water, lemon, salt, coconut oil and maple syrup.
- Process this for around 3-4 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and creamy. If you need more water to liquify the mixture you can add more at this stage. A stronger food processor will make a smoother texture so don’t worry if your mixture isn’t completely smooth.
- Pour the filling into the base ensuring it is even
- Half the peaches and thinly slice them then place them around the tart as shown in the pictures leaving the middle section empty
- Cut off the tops of the strawberries and place them in the middle facing them upwards.
- Refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours or overnight before serving.